The weapon of culture is proximity.
In those days Israel had no King. (Judges 17:6; 18:1; 19:1, 21:25)
Judges 1-3 Living with the Canaanites
Judges 3-21 Living like the Canaanites.
Without complete commitment to do what is right in God’s eyes, you will drift into a full embrace of the culture around you.
Three reasons the Israelites drift into doing what is right in their own eyes.
- They did not drive the Canaanites and their idol worship out of the land like God told them to.
- They didn’t pass on their faith and values to the next generation.
- They broke the first word (command) of God. Have no other gods before me.
“The opposite of theism is not atheism, its idolatry.” – Peter Kreeft
Six great questions to call out the gods in your life. These questions are adapted from a work called the Motivations of Human Behavior:
- What disappoints you?
- Where do you make sacrifices?
- What worries you?
- Where do you go when you get hurt?
- What do you complain about and get angry about?
- Whose applause do you live for?