The stronghold of addiction is a battle for control.
Search for the Freeing Truth
Seven false narratives that the enemy wants you believe about your addiction:
- Loner: I’m alone in this struggle
- In Denial: I’m still in control/I’m able to quit whenever I want
- Comparison: I’m not as bad as others =
- Minimizing: I’m only hurting myself
- Dismissive: I’m just a victim of an addictive personality
- Guilt and Shame: I could never let anyone know the truth about me
- Fatalist: I’m going to struggle with this my whole life
Seven false narratives that hurt more than help:
- Tough Love: They are alone in this
- Church Lady: They just need to pray more
- School of Hard Knocks: They just need to hit rock bottom
- Enabler: They are not as bad as others
- In Denial: They are not addicted/the are only hurting themselves
- Curmudgeon: They are not deserving of my grace
- Fatalist: They are going to struggle with this their whole life
Turn From Your Enslaving Sin
Addiction is when a person is physically or psychologically enslaved to a certain behavior or habit that they feel they cannot live without.
Repair Your Broken Relationships
Romans 8:15 The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship.