Jesus gives 3 non-retaliation principles as examples.
- Turn the other cheek.
- Give an additional garment as well
- Go the extra mile
Through these 3 illustrations, Jesus does not
- Advocate Christian submission to torture.
- Directly address pacifism or just war
- Restrict Christian intervention on behalf of an abused party (defending your family from an attacker)
- Forbid self-defense
- Violate retaliation by the state.
And not only should you not retaliate but you ought to work for the good of the one you would call your enemy! You don’t just restrain, you bless!
Why should we love our enemies, pray for those who mistreat us, do good to those who hate us, bless those who curse us and not retaliate?
1. Loving your enemy magnifies God’s love & grabs the attention of unbelievers.
People who love others are empathetic, humble, image bearing and sacrificial.
2. Loving enemies magnifies God’s transforming power and makes you like your father in heaven.