1. START WITH THE RIGHT GOALS.
Two primary goals when reading the Bible:
- Hear from God.
- Understand the meaning of the text
2. READ WITH HUMILITY
Character is just as important as your method when it comes to reading the Bible
Good interpretation begins with good interpreters.
3 step process for what to do with assumptions:
- Recognize them.
- Evaluate them in light of Scripture.
- Submit assumptions to Scripture.
Broadly speaking there are four steps to hermeneutics,
- What does the text say? (exegesis)
- What does it mean? (interpretation)
- How do I know that’s what it means (validation)
- Now that I know what it means, so what? (Significance/application)
3. PAY ATTENTION TO THE DETAILS
4. DISCERN THE AUTHORS FLOW OF THOUGHT – LITERARY CONTEXT:
5. LIVE WHAT YOU LEARN
Interpretation is incomplete without application.