We need to avoid two errors when thinking about friendship with Jesus:
- One is flippantly calling Jesus a “chum,” “buddy,” or “pal”
- The other is to so emphasize Jesus’s kingship that we neglect his companionship.
You should view Jesus as your friend for three reasons:
1. Jesus calls you His friend
Three pieces of evidence Jesus was sincere in friendship.
- Jesus opened his heart with transparency.
- Jesus called his disciples friends even when he knew he would be abandoned.
- Jesus died on the cross to prove his friendship.
2. Jesus turns sinners into friends.
3. Jesus died to make you his friend.