Just for fun
See if you can answer these questions while you participate in the online service.
- What is the first song we sang in worship? Do you know what scripture it comes from?
- What color shirt is the preacher wearing?
- Can you remember the last word from each of the main points in today’s sermon?
- Search for the freeing ________________
- Turn from your enslaving _______________
- Repair your broken ________________
Before today’s sermon
Talk about some things you have control over, like what you wear, what you eat, how you spend your birthday money, etc. Is there anything you feel takes control over you or something that feels out of your control?
After today’s sermon
Consider talking with your kids about healthy ways of coping with fear, stress, emotions, pain, trauma, recurring sin, etc. Oftentimes, turning to sin and addiction start with unhealthy ways of coping – or not knowing how to cope – with hard things.
Here are some topics you may want to think through to get the conversation started:
- Relying/trusting God
- Having a positive attitude
- Encouraging healthy displays of emotion
- Being honest – confessing your wrongs to a loving family member
- Learning positive conflict resolution and how to ask for forgiveness
- Showing grace to others and giving room for others to grow and change
Discuss today’s sermon
- What does it mean to be a slave to sin?
- Have you ever believed a lie you told yourself? (Like “nobody loves me”) What was it like when you realized or admitted to yourself that it wasn’t true?
- What does it mean to repent? (Hint: there’s two parts)
- Read Romans 7:21-23 and talk about a time when you knew something was wrong but you kept doing it anyways. What was it and how can you take practical steps to repent?
Later this week
Anytime we give something other than God the control in our life, or worship someone or something other than God, it doesn’t end well. Just take a look at one or more of these familiar Old Testament stories and see how things went for the people when they worshipped idols. Also take special note of the way(s) that God showed up.
- Elijah & the Prophets of Baal – 1 Kings 18
- The Golden Calf – Exodus 32
- The Fiery Furnace – Daniel 3
- Gideon – Judges 6-7