When you desire to place membership at Northside, you are expressing a commitment to partner with us in ministry and to commit wholeheartedly to the vision God has entrusted to us to connect people to Christ and one another. Church membership does not make you more or less saved than before becoming a member of a local body of believers.
To place membership at Northside, a person must have made the decision to place their faith in Jesus Christ and be baptized (immersed). This is the most important decision of your life. We feel it is also important to commit to a local church body of believers.
What you are doing by placing membership
When you come to Northside and desire to place membership, having already made a commitment to Christ and been immersed, you are doing four things:
1. Declaring that you buy into the vision of Northside Christian Church …which is to connect people to Christ and one another.
We believe that we can evaluate the accomplishment of our vision if:
- People are feeling loved and accepted.
- People are making commitments to Jesus Christ and being baptized by immersion in Him.
- People are becoming increasingly involved in ministry.
- People are leading victorious lives.
- People are sharing their faith with their friends.
2. Making public your commitment to the 4 C’s.
- Celebrate in worship
We challenge ever believer to make it a priority to worship consistently – on a weekly basis with the faith family and a daily basis personally. Every worship service is intentionally and prayerfully planned to provide moments of life transformation.
“Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another – And all the more as you see the day approaching.” Hebrews 10:25
- Connect in a small group
Christ never intended that we go it alone. We challenge every believer to place a high value on sharing life together. 90% of people will stay connected if they can articulate their faith, belong to a small group and have four to eight close friendships in the church.
“Day after day, in the temple courts and from house to house, they never stopped preaching and proclaiming the good news that Jesus is the Christ.” Acts 5:42
- Contribute in ministry
God expects every believer to use their spiritual gifts, personal style and God given passion for the Kingdom. We challenge every believer to use their Time, Talent, Treasure and Testimony to make a significant impact for eternity.
“For we are God’s workmanship created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.” Ephesians 2:10
- Commit wholeheartedly
Many who call themselves Christians will one day stand confidently in front of Jesus only to hear him say, “I never knew you, away from me.” Committed followers know there is both a moment of surrender and the practice of surrender. We’ve chosen to commit wholeheartedly! Is He your one of many or is He your one and only?
“If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.” Luke 9:23
3. Committing to the expectations we have for our members.
Much as in the marriage relationship, you are making a commitment to the local body of believers “for better or for worse,” promising to use your gifts for the welfare of the body. Ultimately we expect that all our members will commit to at least four things and say:
I will protect the unity of my church
- By acting in love toward other members.
- By maintaining a spirit of peace.
- By following its leaders.
I will share in the outreach of my church
- By praying for its growth.
- By inviting the “unchurched” to attend.
- By sharing my testimony as opportunity arises.
I will serve in the ministry of my church
- By discovering my spiritual gifts and talents.
- By being equipped to serve in an effective manner
- By participating in a gift-related area of ministry.
I will participate in the community of my church
- By attending church regularly.
- By joining a small group and/or Sunday school class for fellowship and maturity.
- By living an authentic, godly life.
- By giving regularly and cheerfully of my time, treasures and talents.
4. Fulfilling a legal commitment we have as a tax exempt organization to have rules of membership.
Perhaps our relationship as members of Northside is best summarized by Romans 12:10 which says,
“Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves.”
We invite you to learn more about the mission, vision and beliefs of Northside Christian Church by attending one of our Welcome to Northside classes.
When you are ready to commit to this church family, please meet one of the staff during decision time at the end of the service in the hallway to the side of the worship center. You will have an opportunity to reaffirm your faith in Jesus Christ and voice your desire to partner with us in ministry at Northside. Coming forward during a Sunday morning service allows those in the Northside family to connect with you, encourage you and pray for you.