What does the Arabic letter “N” mean?
‘N’, or ن in Arabic, is the symbol used by the Islamic State (IS or ISIS) to identify who is a Nazarene – a Christian. It has been drawn on doorways and in front of houses in captured Iraqi cities, allowing militants to quickly assert where the loyalties of the inhabitants lie. Last week (July 2014), members of the extremist Sunni Muslim faction drove Christians out of the historic city of Mosul, where members of the faith have lived for the past 2,000 years. They were told to either flee the city, convert to Islam, or pay a tax for the right to be a Christian. Those who refused now risk death “by the sword”.
“For the first time in the history of Iraq, Mosul is now empty of Christians,” Patriarch Louis Sako told AFP following Friday’s harrowing events.
“The heinous crime of the Islamic State was carried out not just against Christians, but against humanity,” he added in a sermon in Baghdad on Sunday, which was attended by local Christians and around 200 Muslims – many of whom wore t-shirts branded with the words “We are N”, “I am Iraqi, I am Christian”, or simply “ن”.
“This has never happened in Christian or Islamic history,” Sako warned.
People all over the world are now joining in with the condemnation of IS, which – led by Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi – is attempting to found a pan-Islamic state across a stretch of northern Iraq and Syria. [CREDIT: WWW.CHRISTIANTODAY.COM]
Now thousands of Christians are showing their support of persecuted Christians around the world by changing there social media pictures, wearing tee shirts, and praying for their brothers and sisters around the globe. Northside stands with the persecuted church in prayer and activism online.
What can you help?
- Set an alarm on your phone
- Place a note on your mirror
- Start a prayer group at work
- Fast through your lunch breaks
- Visit www.persecution.org for ideas
- Change your Facebook and Twitter profile picture to the Arabic “N” to show your support
- Talk about and share news articles on social media so that others will understand the urgency
- Stop by Northside Christian Church and purchase one of our yard signs (all proceeds go to relief efforts)
- Teach your family and kids to pray for and raise awareness in support of the persecuted church.
FIND OUT MORE (HELPFUL RESOURCES):